A BEACON of resources for emerging artists
- 28 Jan 2021
In December, Future Yard hosted BEACON, a live streamed ‘digital conference’ focusing on how emerging artists can creatively grow their artist project after COVID.
LCR Music Board members, Cath Hurley and Craig Pennington from Future Yard, sought out a group of artists and industry professionals who have led innovative campaigns to drive success in the midst of the COVID pinch; providing video webinars, masterclasses, short artist chats and specific conversations to offering hope to artists who are looking to continue building their projects in 2021 and beyond.
Over 150 artist attended virtually on the day, with hundreds more accessing recording since. So if you missed the event, worry not, you can still consume the valuable resources that have been recorded and a saved on the Future Yard website.
Click here to sign up and gain access: https://mailchi.mp/futureyard/beacon-2020
You will be sent access instructions and will be added to the BEACON mailing list (a monthly newsletter rounding up additions to the resource bank, and other useful external artist resources).
There are some incredibly inspiring stories and strategies that came about despite the trying circumstances – which we hope will inspire you, and hopefully you can find ways of adapting the ideas in your own way.
Future Yard will continue to add to this bank of resources, which will evolve in line with the music industry; reacting to new developments and helping new artists to emerge in the new-look industry.
Content from the digital conference includes:
MAIN STAGE CONVERSATIONS:
- STREAMING – AWAL’s Phil Loutsis on how to maximise your streaming potential
- A&R – Warner Records UK’s A&R Manager Jamila Scott on how she’s discovering new music
- SOCIAL MEDIA – Leading digital agency Blackstar on building your online audience
- BANDCAMP – Bandcamp’s Aly Gillani on how to maximise its potential for your project
INDUSTRY ‘HOW-TO’ SESSIONS
- HOW-TO… PRESS – Robin Murray (Editor, Clash Magazine) on approaching and succeeding with the music press.
- HOW-TO… PR – Dan Carson (THEY DO. PR) on when and why you may (or may not) need a PR to work your next release.
- HOW-TO… MERCHANDISE – Ben Lewis (Head of Music, Awesome Merch) on developing a creative and profitable merch offer.
- HOW-TO… RADIO – Shell Zenner (Amazing Radio, BBC Introducing and XS Manchester) on how to get your music played on radio.
- YARD ACT on successfully launching an acclaimed new project despite not being able to play live.
- SPQR on the benefits of high-quality live streamed performances and focusing on recording during lockdown.
- FALSE ADVERTISING on engaging fans through refreshing your approach to social media.
- NATALIE McCOOL on embracing the Patreon platform and realising the power of superfans.
- PILLOW QUEENS on successfully self-releasing their debut vinyl LP despite losing out of touring.
- IAMKYAMI on developing new audiences and eloquently embracing activism throughout lockdown.